"People don’t listen, they just wait for their turn to talk."
Great scene, and based on an actual historical incident in medieval Germany:
When King Conrad III defeated the Duke of Welf (in the year 1140) and placed Weinsberg under siege, the wives of the besieged castle negotiated a surrender which granted them the right to leave with whatever they could carry on their shoulders. The king allowed them that much. Leaving everything else aside, each woman took her own husband on her shoulders and carried him out. When the king’s people saw what was happening, many of them said that that was not what had been meant and wanted to put a stop to it. But the king laughed and accepted the women’s clever trick. “A king” he said, “should always stand by his word.”
Medieval women were BAMFs.
This was always one of my favourite movie scenes as a child (if that’s not telling about how I grew up, I don’t know what is) but the fact that it actually happened makes it 100x better.
(Source: oldfilmsflicker, via so-ul-happy)
The oldest person alive was born on April 19, 1897, meaning that April 18th, 1897 was approximately the last time the Earth was inhabited by an entirely different set of people and if you don’t think that’s the realest shit ever then you can get right on outta town.
my birthday is April 18th. I’m not saying what year tho.
Tips for self defense in places where you can’t use the likes of pepper spray etc (it’s also legal).
- Use a house key or a car key
- If you have key rings on the keys, simply keep these in the palm of your hand and hold tight.
- Place the key between your ring finger and your middle finger - do not place it between your index and middle finger as it’s a weaker hold.
- If you want to be discreet, keep this position in your coat pocket or somewhere where you can keep the keys hidden. If you don’t have a pocket, try keeping hold of the keys in your hand but within your sleeve - as if they were too big for you.
- If you feel in danger or someone goes to attack you, try to jab your attacker in the places circled in red. These are weak spots and will give off a feeling of being stabbed, however there will be no wound - it’ll just stun your attacker and bide you enough time to run.
- Try to aim for the lower areas such as the stomach and sides, these are weaker spots, however the middle of the chest and neck help too. This is the same for women.
This is important.
I do this on every walk home if it’s just me
If you’re not watching “Brooklyn Nine Nine,” you should.
Openly gay Black police captain who is a complete professional (He calls his mother “Your Honor” because she’s a federal judge, mkay?) and gets on the goofy straight white dude’s case for everything he does wrong ever?
SIGN MY ASS UP.
A Brooklyn police precinct that is mostly people of color because that’s what the fuck Brooklyn actually looks like?
SIGN ME UP.
SIGN ME UP.
Terry Crews being the Scary Intimidating Black Man who is actually a sensitive, creative soul who loves his twin daughters enough to try to put together one of those hellish princess castles?
SIGN ME THE FUCK UP.
SIGN ME UP RIGHT NOW.
So good. It’s the new Scrubs, just better.
Just to sing Holt’s praises some more: He is the best boss because he is so fair. He rewards good police work, looks after the officers even if it’s an emotional issue, without coddling, or letting Jake get away with being the class clown, or punishing Santiago for being desperate to please. Holt. <3 Holt is the best.
(Source: bodiebroadus, via imsirius)